Preventive Care for Cats
Help your cat live a longer, happier life.
Preventive care is an essential part of keeping your cat happy and healthy. It will give you peace of mind and increase the odds of detecting underlying health conditions before they become advanced and expensive.
How often should my cat see a veterinarian?
At Wauwatosa Veterinary Clinic, we make our preventive care recommendations using the guidelines established by the American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA) and the American Animal Hospital Association (AAHA). From there, our veterinarians further customize their suggestions based on hereditary factors including your cat’s age, lifestyle, and medical history.
Typically, we suggest scheduling at least one annual exam during which one of our veterinarians will review your cat’s medical history, assess their behavior, make dietary recommendations, and evaluate any known health conditions they may have.
What should I expect from a preventive cat care exam?
Think of your cat’s annual exam like your own yearly physical. At the appointment, we’ll read their temperature, examine their eyes, ears, teeth, and skin, listen to their heart and lungs, and evaluate their joint health.
You can also expect your veterinarian to make recommendations for:
- Vaccines based on your cat’s lifestyle or breed. Core vaccines include rabies and feline distemper, although your veterinarian may recommend additional vaccines like feline leukemia (FeLV)
- Click here to Learn about Vaccines for Your Cat
- Parasite prevention products to keep your cat safe from fleas, ticks, intestinal worms, and heartworms
- Click here to Learn More about Parasites and Your Pet
- Diagnostic testing to identify any health conditions that cannot be detected during a physical exam and to confirm your cat is free from internal parasites
At your cat's annual exam, your veterinarian will answer any questions you may have and discuss other services that could improve their overall health such as spaying/neutering, microchipping, and dental care.