A holistic approach to healing using the power of touch.
Therapeutic Massage is a holistic approach to healing that uses the power of touch to help reduce pain and muscle tension, improve blood flow to muscles and extremities, increase flexibility, and promote healing, in addition to many other benefits.
Various massage strokes and techniques are used to identify imbalances within the musculoskeletal system and treat problem areas. Not only can therapeutic massage help improve physical health, but it can also be beneficial in helping to improve emotional well-being by reducing stress and tension in the body and enhancing the human-animal bond.
Some of the key benefits of therapeutic massage include:
• Increased flexibility and range of motion
• Prevention of atrophy (muscle wasting) in underutilized muscles
• Loosening and softening of scar tissue
• Relaxation and stress reduction
• Reduction of inflammation/swelling
• Release of endorphins in the body to naturally reduce pain
• Enhanced healing of damaged tissue through increased blood flow and nutrients to the muscles
Each massage session is approximately 30 minutes and is done with your pet resting comfortably on the floor or on the practitioner’s lap in a quiet space. Appointments are $60.00 per session and patients must either be current patients at Wauwatosa Veterinary Clinic or receive a referral from their Primary Care Veterinarian indicating that they have approved of this treatment modality. Package discounts are also available.
Massage services at Wauwatosa Veterinary Clinic are provided by Amy Murphy, CVT, CCRP, who is a licensed human massage therapist and Certified Canine Rehabilitation Practitioner through the University of Tennessee as well as Kerry Malak, Certified Canine Massage Therapist and NBCAAM Board Certified Small Animal Acupressure practitioner.